Sunday, May 2, 2010

Cuban Chicken

I recently read a blog post of a woman who made it her mission to try the recipes without pictures and then add her own images of the finished product. I thought I'd take a crack at it and stumbled across a recipe for Mojo Roasted Chicken . I saw this as the perfect opportunity to purchase a pair of kitchen shears. Any dinner plan that involves me getting new toys is fine by me! I bought a whole chicken in an attempt to be more frugal with my meal plans (with the exception of the shears -- but hey! I'll use them more than just this once)

I got a 7lb bird for 99 cents a lb. I'm used to buying chicken breast at around $5 per lb. I started cutting the bird straight down the center of the 2 breast pieces (sternum area I'm guessing). I've seen my mom cut a raw chicken a couple times but haven't tried it myself since I moved out on my own (6 years ago) I removed the breasts and then tried to cut the wings and legs off. I had a hard time with this area because I couldn't really tell where the easiest part of the join was under all the skin. I did the best that I could and wish I found this guide before I began my butchering. Well it didn't take long and soon my 7lbs of chicken were in a foil pan.

I took a lot of care washing and sanitizing everything I touched while handling the chicken. I was wearing rubber gloves since I had a pretty bad gash on my finger from making biscuits last week. I didn't want any of that salmonella or w/e getting into my body. Thank you 60minutes for making me afraid. Once my station was clean I sat down at the table and measured out my spices and chopped up some garlic (next kitchen purchase will have to be a mincer)


The recipe called for heating the oil on the stove but I felt like saving myself some time and dirty dishes and zapped it for 1 1/2 minutes in the microwave. I juiced my lime and got just under the amount that I needed for the recipe. I love that my hands smell like lime now.

The chicken is coated and soaked in the fridge overnight (at least 6 hours) I eagerly popped it in the oven the next morning and was glad I did. It turned out amazing. I'm gonna spice it up a little more next time it was kinda weak but huge on the citrus flavor.







No comments:

Post a Comment