Friday, May 21, 2010

Homemade broth

I decided to take a crack at making some chicken stock since I had all the ingredients on hand after removing the meat from a whole chick I cooked a few days before. I brought out my crockpot and filled it half way with water. As the meat was removed from the bones the skins, fats, and bones went in the pot. I bought a package of "soup greens" which was pretty economical, it contained a carrot, one celery stalk, on parsnip, dill and cilantro and a turnip. I chopped those all up and threw them in with the chicken bones. The water simmered overnight and made a pretty flavorful broth. Once the time did it's work I removed all the bones and skin and threw them out. I end up adding a about 2 tablespoons of salt to bring out more of the flavors. Here's my secret step.


All of the extra chicken meat was cubed and measured out into 1 cup portions for freezing.



After the pot simmered I let it cool for a couple hours on the counter then refrigerated the stock. Once it was cold a lot of the extra fat congealed at the top of the liquid making it easy to scoop off and throw in the trash. I don't need all that extra oiliness in my soups!


The next day I wanted to test out my broth and threw together a quick soup. I boiled some pasta and once cooked drained the water added the stock and veggies and then finally some of that cubed frozen chicken.


It tasted as good as it looks.

No comments:

Post a Comment